Thursday, February 13, 2014

anniversary

Twenty years ago today i walked into the Disney Store at Columbia Mall to waste some time before my interview at The World of Science and spent the whole time talking to a cast member named Doug. We really hit it off and thus started one of my oddest friendships (which if you look around at my friends, that is saying something).
Crazy antics, wild rumors, two marriage proposals, a piano and several truly amazing trips later we were both somewhat amazed that the perkiness of me and the curmudgeonliness of him had somehow found a way to not only peacefully coexist, but compliment each other. To celebrate the longevity of our unlikely friendship we'd been talking about going to New Zealand.
Unfortunately, ten weeks ago my Douglas went to sleep and did not wake up.
I don't have anything else to say about it right now, but wanted to publicly acknowledge the important role he played in my life for twenty years.
Almost twenty that is.

Silly and fussy.
Basically a misanthrope.
Loved him regardless.


4 comments:

Rea said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I know that words are not enough for the hole that exists, but it's all I have. That an my love for you!

Melanie said...

I'm so very sad for you, Niki -- such a loss. But thank you for sharing those beautiful memories -- I hope they make you smile, too. Love you!!

Kaaren said...

:( Lo siento.

Objects Found said...

Oh Niki, I know he meant so much to you. I know you meant so much to him. Glad that you are talking/writing from your heart.