Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Like a Squirrel

Many, many, many years ago Rickki starting calling me Squirrel, for reasons that don't really need examined here. I've always loved her personal nickname for me and even had a collection of squirrels for a while. However, i've never really thought of myself as particularly squirrrelly or squirrel-like. Until this weekend. It's no state secret that autumn is my favorite season. Over the weekend I noticed a particular autumnal behavior in myself : i am much busier and more productive than other times of the year. On Thursday i did 2 weeks worth of dishes, made breakfast, made lunch, cleaned out the fridge, cleaned the kitchen, mopped the kitchen floor, cleaned the bathroom, mopped the bathroom floor and washed the bathroom mat by hand - all before i went to work. On Saturday i made paper for the first time since i moved into the apartment. I pulped and screened a celebration of fall called "punkin" and then i pulped 6 more batches, forming them into cakes to dry and be screened later. On Sunday i unpacked 2 boxes, rearranged my kitchen cabinets and started a new art piece about music. On Monday i mailed 8 cards that i made and/or wrote late Sunday night. I am cleaning, organizing, nesting and making lists like nuts - actually like squirrels. Have you ever watched the crazy little furballs in the autumn? They have 2 speeds - frantic and nap. It turns out i also go way faster in the autumn, but nap -or at least chill- more often as well. Sunday around 5:00 I decided it was too glorious of a day for me to stay inside any longer so i decided to write new "to do" lists and redesign the displays in my china cabinets out on the front porch. It was so lovely i brought out music and then decided it was a good time for a margarita. I went from 120mph to about 12mph in 2 minutes and was able to enjoy the juxtaposition of a perfectly round spiderweb behind the square porch trim and the way the sunlight made sparkley, colored shadows through my glass It's good to be a squirrel. (now if i can just get work to allow me to nap for 10-12 days at a time in the winter)

No comments: