Tuesday, February 15, 2011

non-linear

I used to be haunted by the past; it possessed me, held me.
Sometimes i felt like i couldn't escape it,
but sometimes i wanted to live in it.
On a day in 2004 when i was feeling particularly jostled by time,
i scribbled the poem that is this week's quote on my desk blotter:
time slips and slides
forward and back
hurtling us sideways to the future
and headlong into the past
Some people think that moving on means abandoning, forgetting what has gone before,
riding the rails out of yesterday-town and never looking back.
I don't want to lose my past experiences -good and bad- cause they are what make me Niki.
But now i keep my memories; they no longer keep me.
I like to take them out, hold them up to the light so that emotion streams through and then gently tuck them away in a safe place.
Time doesn't have to be a straight line, but it doesn't have to be a loop either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should read Einstein's Dreams.