Thursday, July 14, 2011

One For the Mockinbird

Whenever i see Ron the drummer and the conversation inevitably turns to music, one of us ends up mentioning some song or band i haven't thought about in years. Recently he brought up the seriously under-rated Cutting Crew. On the way home from dinner i dug out my 20 year old cassette copy of Broadcast -how can i be that old?- and gave it a listen.
My favorite song on it is "One For the Mockingbird", which wasn't a big hit, but then again my favorites hardly ever are. The first verse hit me like a slap in the face:
I have learned through all my past mistakes,
not to let the hurdles sap my energy.
Time will tell and time is all it takes.
You won't see the bastards knock the running out of me.
My schedule lately has been beyond crazy. I have taken to writing what i am supposed to be doing each day chronologically, with a location on the white board so that i don't miss anything.
It is hectic, frantic and delightful.
Though i know there are things slipping through the cracks, i can honestly say that i am giving this new reordering, this evolution at work my all. In fact, almost everyone in the education department is on board and working themselves to the bone, but there is always a doubter, a naysayer. Our resident wet blanket is driving me nuts with self-centeredness and an almost willful obtuseness about the imperative to change, but i refuse to be deterred. I will make the most of this incredible opportunity, work at my full capacity, stay healthy and be joyful despite the human roadblock.
In defiance of negativity, these lyrics will be this week's quote.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

You go girl!

Rea said...

I don't know if it's just too early in the morning for me...but such BIG grown up words!!

Good for you...have fun!