Monday, June 2, 2008

Speaking of food...

At the team lunch today i introduced a new broccoli salad. Technically i beta tested it on Rachel right before she moved, but this is the first time i have tried it on multiple people. It is loosely based on a broccoli salad i had at a crop last year or maybe the year before. I remembered that it had broccoli, raisins and sunflower seeds (three of my favorite things), but i had no idea about the dressing so i made up my own. I decided that i wanted something a little sweet, with a touch of spicy, that wasn't too heavy. The formula that finally worked was 1 part Ken's Fat Free Sun-Dried Tomato Vinaigrette, 1 part water and a small scoop of Chinese mustard to taste, well mixed by shaking. I tossed that with fresh broccoli cut very small and equal parts of lightly salted sunflower kernels and raisins. It is definitely a mixture of strong tastes and discrepant textures: there's crunchy, soft, tangy, vegetabley, sweet, salty and a trace of hot. Plus it is a fruit, a vegetable and a good fat (as my trainer likes to call it). The reviews from the team were mixed, but I love, love, love it!

No comments: