Monday, November 30, 2009

I heart holidays with friends

For Thanksgiving i went to my friend Lynn's house. She and i met in Brownies when i was 7 and she was 8. Needless to say, we know each other well. I love a lot of things about going to her house. Not only do i get to visit a life completely foreign to my own (married, big house, 2 kids, 2 dogs), but i love that her home is a perfect mixture of well put-together elegance and stuff her kids made. Like these door decorations, hand drawn (and apparently startled) turkeys share equal billing with a lovely metal piece that i'm sure cost more than my furniture. You know those friends you have that don't treat you like a guest? The ones where you just get your own drink? I love those friends. Lynn and her husband Shawn are definitely friends like that. Soon after i arrived i went to the fridge to get a drink - and found shelves of pies. Love it! Lynn made a whole turkey and an extra breast. She uses the baking bags and man, oh, man did those birds turn a gorgeous golden brown Do ya like how her outfit coordinates with dinner? And how about those kitchen pitch forks she's using to transfer the bird? I have absolutely NO use for them whatsoever, but i love them so much that i want a pair. Know what else i love? Someone else carving the turkeys; i do it at Christmas and i do not love it. Shawn does not kid around about really cleaning the meat from the bones. He decimated these. And the thing i love most of all about spending Thanksgiving with one of my oldest friends is that it felt like i was with family even when my own family is so far away from me.

1 comment:

Rea said...

I'm glad you had a nice Thanksgiving.