Thursday, April 15, 2010

opening day

I have never gone to Opening Day at Camden Yards before. People who know how much i love both adventure and my hometown gasp in disbelief at that sentence. But not any more! Thanks to Kate P's timing of conveniently having a baby 3 weeks before Opening Day, i got to use her ticket. [thanks Kate and Jason!] Last Friday i took off of work, put on an Orioles jersey and had appropriately festive hair for my adventure. It was a clear day so Jason and I parked at work and walked through the harbor to the stadium. I love that they used the old warehouse as part of the stadium instead of tearing it down; it adds character. I've been to games before, but Opening Day seemed to have a different atmosphere: there was camaraderie and hope in the air. It felt like Spring. I loved the teeming throngs of people I loved that everyone was dressed alike, including me. I loved that anyone would actually pay this price for beer. (Ridonkulous!) I loved the best ballpark dogs i have ever eaten, which Jason suggested. The sky was so gorgeous, with puffy Simpson's clouds like it looked computer-generated. I loved the meticulous field. I loved the orange carpet and flags and balloons as the teams were introduced. I love the crowd's reaction to the double ceremonial first pitches by Orioles' legends Brooks Robinson and Boog Powell. I loved spending the day with my friend, surrounded by throngs of people sometimes enjoying and sometimes NOT enjoying (could the O's closer be any worse? I mean he pitches like the guy in Bull Durham for goodness' sake) the Great American pastime. Plus, it counts as something new this month!

2 comments:

Douglas said...

Boog is still alive!?

Niki said...

...and slinging BBQ!