Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Catonsville Bicentennial Fine Arts Exhibition

Now that we are in June I can share more about the art exhibition in which i am showing a new piece of work. To celebrate the 200th year of the founding of Catonsville, some local artists decided to put together an exhibition of various types of art being created by people living and working in the local zip code. A call went out for submissions and i was intrigued. By no means would i consider myself a fine artist, but i saw this as a chance to try something new. In all the years that i have been painting i have only shared the two pieces hanging on my wall in my studio and the two pieces that i have given as gifts. The rest have either been buried under piles in my studio or cut up and used in other mixed media pieces. I figured it was time to hang something on a wall for other people to see. I was excited to submit the piece and then i regretted it completely and then i was so excited again that i wished that i had more time to submit another piece and then i was trepidatious. Excited, scared, excited, scared - it oscillates between the two every day. I really want people to come and see the mixed media with acrylic painting that i finished. I am terrified of having it hang next to trained and professional artists. I'm proud that i am even trying this. I'm scared no one will come. I'm scared people will come and laugh. I am all over the emotional map about this. That is where all of you come into the picture. Wouldn't you love to come see some local art and witness me being a basketcase? Mayhaps you would like to purchase some handpainted cards? Perhaps you'd like to bring your kids to do some crafty things. Did i mention refreshments? SATURDAY JUNE 12th 1:00-5:00 is the opening reception with all of the activities. SUNDAY JUNE 13th 1:00-5:00, the gallery will be open with the artists, as well. Many of the pieces will be for sale. The exhibition continues through July 16th. This will hopefully be a fun time for everyone and a character building experience for me. Please come say HI, if you can. I'll put a counter on the side of my blog to help you remember.

4 comments:

Rea said...

So after the Exhibition will you post a picture of the work for those of us not lucky enough to live near by???

Niki said...

I tried to get some shots of it at home, but they didn't really capture it.
I'll try some at the gallery.

Mark said...

So I gather from your town's name that you have at least two municipal catons. Just one caton would require the removal of an S from the name (witness Matthew's old hometown and it's issue with turbots). Are the catons also going to be on display along with your fine works of art?

Niki said...

Skip - I could answer your question if i actually knew what a caton was.