Wednesday, August 10, 2011

goals are good

Earlier this week i had the monthly meeting with my staff and i gave them 4 goals that i want the team as a whole to achieve in the month of August.
Last night i was reviewing my 40 list at home and planning some activities.
This morning at breakfast i was writing up my Gold Star calendar for the rest of the month.
It occurred to me that mayhaps i am over-goaled.
Perhaps i am being unreasonable and setting myself up for failure.
Then i remembered this quote from the hilarious Terry Pratchett in the Discworld book Equal Rites:
...it is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of failure can be a half brick in the path of the bicycle of history.
My goals will make me stretch, make me grow, make me try harder to be better in the various facets of my life. I try to be reasonable -like saying i'll do yoga twice a week, not 5 times a week- and i don't beat myself up if i fall short as long as i gave it an honest try. The goals are merely gentle prods; the effort is what matters in the Nikiverse.

3 comments:

Erin said...

My goal is to take a shower every day...I failed today ;)

Niki said...

Erin-
1.the important thing is that you HAVE a goal
2. the day is nowhere near over
3. baby wipes can be utilized as emergency sponge baths

Erin said...

I like your thinking....however, my day is sadly shaping up as a "no shower" day (it all depends on Cameron...if i wake up first, i get to shower, if he does...no dice)..and baby wipes can be utilized for EVERYTHING...God bless those things!