Thursday, October 13, 2011

When work is more than what you do

At one time my job was way too much a part of my identity; it was who i was. It wasn't healthy, people. Now i have found a nice balance, but still my job is more than just the time i spend at work.
I love being an educator. I love being a performer. I love touching people's lives.
Tomorrow is the beginning of our national convention and i am super excited because this year my museum is hosting the conference. It has been a ton of work, but i am excited to see it all come to fruition.
Plus i am excited about seeing all of my compatriots. It is awesome to be in a room full of people who do what i do because they understand what my crazy schedule looks like; they understand why i hate GPS and how hard it is to try to get dressed when you are loading a van outside at 7am in January, but 3 hours later have to be on a stage that is 95 degrees.
This week's quote is from... well, i don't know where. I think i cut it out of a magazine about 15 years ago because it is yellowed and wrinkled and peeling, but still taped to my monitor at work. I read it every day and count myself lucky:
Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
-Herman Cain

3 comments:

Michelle said...

It is very important to find a balance. I definitely consider all of my jobs as my identity... but I don't mind so much. I love being a junk girl!

Thank you for the THANK YOU cards by the way! I already gave one to a couple at the Antique Depot who helped me with my car battery. <3

Rea said...

Can't wait to hear how it went!!

Anonymous said...

Outreach: Not just a job, a job where you set stuff on fire.

-Frack