Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Pearl of the Chesapeake

I like visiting small towns; my job takes me to places many people don't even know exist. Rock Hall is on a peninsula of Maryland's Eastern Shore surrounded by the Chesapeake Bay just north of the Chester River. It is a place where everyone's family must have worked the water at some point. I really like that they have a statue of an oysterman at the waterfront: It is cool that not only are they celebrating their heritage, but giving people like me who don't work the water a chance to see the type of equipment and back breaking work it would take to do the job. It is oyster season here in Maryland and it was nice to take a moment to appreciate how the hard work of others impact the economy of the state. Plus we were there right at sunset which made for an awesome silhouette.

No comments: