Tuesday, December 9, 2008

you gotta be able to laugh at yourself

I live by myself which i both love and hate. For instance, if i spend 10 minutes trying to get a good photo of the back of my head there is no one around to ridicule me, but trying to get a good photo of the back of my head would be less of a challenge if i had a roommate to just do it for me. As i was just clearing out my photo folder i had to laugh at some of the rejects from this morning's post about whimsy hair. To get the shot i tried shooting the back of my head from right behind it, shooting the back of my head from arm's length, shooting the reflection of the back of my head, shooting the reflection of the reflection of the back of my head, shooting over my shoulder, shooting over my head upside down, using my timer, changing the flash, changing the zoom - it was ridiculous. Anyhoo as i went to throw these pics away i decided that it would be good for me to share my own craziness. Here we go. First up is one from a mirror sequence that turned out okay, but was too far away to show the detail i wanted; how awkward does this look? So to get closer i went with over my shoulder instead of over my head; nice except for the width of field caught part of my actual head instead of just the reflection. I was using a hand mirror to see what was in the view screen, which inspired me to shoot what as in the hand mirror. Seemed like a good idea : how in the world did i get ME in the mirror instead of what i was seeing in the mirror? (at least my bangs look good) And i love this picture of a reflection in the hand mirror of the reflection in the wall mirror of the reflection of the camera in the hand mirror : it's a classic. And my personal favorite from the entire shoot: ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

2 comments:

Kaaren said...

So, how *did* you end up getting the actual shots?

Niki said...

Crouching Niki, Hidden Timer -
well not so much hidden as in the window sill. It took a lot of trials to get the right distance, flash, height, and zoom.