Sunday, June 12, 2011

because the need is constant

I figure one-third of the way through the month i should get around to choosing a June charity. This was the first month that i didn't have one already picked out from the beginning.
hmmmmmmmm... i thought. There are plenty of worthy charities around, including ones i've supported in the past, but nothing jumped right out at me.
As I was poking around it seems to me that there have been a lot more natural disasters recently. I mean, i'm not sure if there really ARE more or if in our age of instant and constant information we are just more aware of them.
Anyhoo, anytime there is a major disaster it seems like the Red Cross is in the forefront of relief. I know they get great donations in times of crisis, but i wonder if monetary donations, like blood donations, drop off when there aren't pictures plastered everywhere in peoples' faces.
Sooooo, it seems like now would be a good time to throw my 1500 cents into the pile. The donation page for the American Red Cross, which can be accessed from my sidebar, has a minimum donation of $10, but i really like that you can earmark how you'd like your donation to be used. 

No comments: